Friday, April 11, 2008

This is going to be a very emotional entry, period.

There was once, when i was young, that i was looked down upon, I was jeered on and I was compared to. There was once when i was young, Momma said to me that i can't prove to her and Poppa that i can do well in my studies with a boyfriend by my side. There was once in my life that Poppa told everybody, "I love my second daughter more than my first daughter. She is the light of my life. She always makes me so happy, unlike my elder daughter. My elder daughter has NEVER made me happy." There was once when i was young that Poppa said to me,"You can't make it in life. You're so quiet, you have to talk more." There was once when i was young when Poppa said to my late Grandma," Anak yang kechik tu suka berbual, suka ejek-ejek dengan saya. Tu pasal saya sayang sangat dengan dia. Dia lah buah idaman hati saya. Kalau si anak lagi satu tu, asik diam ajer, tak tahu nak cakap." All these while looking at my face. There was once when I was young that Poppa slapped me because i did not wash his dirty dishes in the sink. There was once when i was young that I was told what kind of daughter I am compared to the other one. There was once when i was young that Poppa hinted,"When you get a man, make sure he is better educated than you, don't go and find boyfriend with no education. Get a boyfriend who is rich so he can take care of you." There was once when I was young that a bee stung me on the head and Poppa was reluctant to go to the clinic to see me but instead scolded my friends for helping me see the doctor. There was once, when i was young, i was blamed for everything in the house because i cannot speak up even when i know i was right. There was once when i was young, that i felt like suicide because of the pain and hurt and emotional distress caused by 'them'. There was once when I was young, I thought to myself ,"I don't deserve to be a human being."

Look at this daughter now. This daughter has succeeded in her studies with a good degree, even with a boyfriend by her side then. This daughter has worked her way up the career ladder, even if she is quiet and timid and does not have a huge manja motor-mouth. This daughter has earned the highest percentage of increment and performance appraisal the first year into her permanent job. This daughter knows how to cook, wash, clean and take care of the house. This daughter married a man who is smarter than she is, even though he is not rich and his qualifications does not meet Poppa's expectations. This daughter married a man who succeeds so fast in his career even without Poppa's said education standards. This daughter married a man who makes her feel like she is everything in the world to him. More importantly, this daughter married a man who has never ever degraded her and loved her for who she is.

And I have proven you BOTH wrong.

It is now that I thought to myself once again," I deserve to be human."

No comments: