Friday, October 09, 2009

Feeling listless... Am I just being TOOO nice?

Ever since I joined my new vocation, this is the first time I am feeling listless. And helpless. It is going to be my one year into this new job, and HR has posted me around. I have travelled to 4 different places, in 4 different environments, everytime starting anew. I keep telling myself to look on the brighter positive side, that I am ADAPTABLE. Like a chameleon, I can change myself to adapt. I am able to adjust myself readily to different conditions. I am now at my 4th centre because they need 'help'. And it is very very far from home. I keep asking myself time and again, is it me? Am i too nice to say yes all the time? Do I let myself be easily stepped on and tossed around? While others complain and get their way, I take the back seat and await what there is to discover in this 'new' environment. It's like 'there must be a reason why I am here'. Is it the signs? Is it fate? How do I look like in my superior's or even HR's eyes? I didn't even have a chance to say a proper Goodbye to my previous colleagues and children, and wham, a call from HR and Zoom I go to another centre the very next day. Am I portraying a good impression or am I stupid to be the only one who is willing to do so? Sigh... Yes I am finally feeling listless. I have to start remembering children's names all over again. I think I have more than 200+ children's names in my head now from all the different centres. I have to adapt to the different working cultures of the different centres. I have to learn, unlearn and relearn again. (The secret to learning new things is to be willing to unlearn. -Anon)

My practicum is creeping up soon and truthfully I am scared. Even as I typed out the above, my brain is telling me, "it's not so bad, what. You have the benefit of experiencing new environments" but my heart is telling me,"Why are you so soft-hearted? Go and complain la!" The thing here is, my brain always takes charge. Always nudging me to "THINK POSITIVE" every single time a crappy situation crops up. Why am I different from others? =_(
The video below is somehow not related, but it moved me. So I am sharing it with you.
I got my answer after watching it.

"Why do I have to BE like others?"


Ok you'd never guessed it to be a shampoo commercial either right. I didn't thought so.
On a lighter note, how come her hair didn't get stuck in the violin arh? Hee!


A few self-reflection ......

"Learn to adjust yourself to the conditions you have to endure, but make a point of trying to alter or correct conditions so that they are most favorable to you."
- Book, William Frederick.

"Adaptability is not imitation. It means power of resistance and assimilation."
-Gandhi, Mahatma

"If you live in the river you should make friends with the crocodile."
-Proverb, Indian on Adaptability

"It is a wise person that adapts themselves to all contingencies; it's the fool who always struggles like a swimmer against the current."
-Unknown, Source on Adaptability

"Take the world as it is, not as it ought to be."
-Proverb, German on Adaptability

"We must make the best of those ills which cannot be avoided."
-Hamilton, Alexander on Adaptability


"A well adjusted person is one who makes the same mistake twice without getting nervous."
-Heard, Jane on Adaptability

No comments: